On behalf of the CAP, we wish to provide our members and the public with resources regarding the current updates and safety measures available related to the COVID-19 virus. Updates on CAP programs, including the Congress, are also included below.
A message from the 3 federal granting agencies on research travel impacted by COVID-19 – https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com
Travel Advisory from Health Canada – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html
Travel Advisory from Global Affairs – https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
RECOMMENDED PRACTICES AND GOVERNMENT RESOURCES
Below are links to the Government of Canada and Government of Ontario pages containing status updates, safety measures, treatments and symptoms, and more.
Government of Canada:
- Being Prepared – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/being-prepared.html
- Prevention Methods – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks.html
- Symptoms – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms.html
- Ontario – https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus
- Quebec – https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/
- BC Centre for Disease Control – http://www.bccdc.ca/2020/information-on-novel-coronavirus
- Alberta – https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
- Manitoba – https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/coronavirus/
- Saskatchewan – https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/
- Nova Scotia – https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/
- New Brunswick – https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/coronavirus.html
- Newfoundland Labrador – https://www.health.gov.nl.ca/health/publichealth/cdc/coronavirus/
- PEI – https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/information/health-and-wellness/coronavirus
- Nunavut – https://www.gov.nu.ca/health/news/coronavirus-travellers-remain-vigilant
- Northwest Territories – https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/en/services/coronavirus-disease-covid-19
- Yukon – https://yukon.ca/en/information-about-novel-coronavirus-yukoners
SUSPENSION OF 2020 CAP LECTURE TOUR TALKS EFFECTIVE SATURDAY 2020 MARCH 14
In monitoring advice from national and regional health authorities, observing precedence set by many public-facing organizations, and considering the health and safety of student, staff, faculty, and our speakers, the CAP Board has decided to formally suspend the remainder of the CAP Lecture Tour for the current academic year, effective after any lectures scheduled to Friday,
This action is taken in direct response to the current COVID-19 uncertainties and the closure, yesterday, of Laurentian University in response to a confirmed case within their community and the anticipation that this measure may ultimately be taken by other universities across Canada in the upcoming month. Once again, the health and safety of our speakers and the students and faculty who would be attending the lecture are of paramount importance to us.
Depending on how the pandemic plays out, we will consider running the cancelled lectures in the Fall 2020 period.
CURRENT CAP STATEMENT ON COVID-19 AND CAP CONGRESS 2020
With the cancellation at short notice of the APS March meeting due to concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we anticipate that many CAP members are considering how the upcoming Congress at McMaster University in June 2020 may be affected by the virus. We want to assure you that the situation is being closely monitored, with the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) co-chairs being in close contact with the CAP Executive Director, the CAP President, and the Chair of the 2020 Congress Program Committee. The CAP 2020 LOC is in regular consultation with the McMaster authorities and their response team.
At present, the CAP Congress is scheduled to proceed. We will inform the membership, and those non-members who have submitted an abstract for the Congress, about developments should anything change. You can find updates on this page and our Congress website.