The objective of this award is to recognize research excellence in the fields of theoretical and mathematical physics.
The award is not limited to CAP members, but the candidates’ research should have been done in Canada or in affiliation with a Canadian organization. In 1995, the Centre de recherches mathématiques (CRM) and the Canadian Association of Physicists (CAP) created, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the CAP, a joint annual prize in recognition of exceptional achievements in theoretical and mathematical physics.
Know a worthy candidate for this award?
Click below to go to the medal nomination system. Any questions regarding the nomination process should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The next medal will be awarded in 2024. Deadline for nominations is 23h59 ET December 17th, 2023.
Yanqin Wu |University of Toronto
Nomination Criteria Nomination Procedure
- The nominator must be a member in good standing of the CAP or a Council/CRM-approved Canadian professional science society (see list below) in order to be eligible to submit a nomination.
- There is no restriction with respect to society membership for nominees; however, the nominee must have spent the major part (i.e. more than one-half) of their working career in Canada or must have made a major contribution to mathematical physics after returning to a permanent position in Canada.
Although the CAP’s nomination system currently has an English-only interface, nominations may be submitted in either English or French. The CAP is committed to ensuring that applications submitted in either official language are treated equitably. Furthermore, the CAP commits to ensuring that those evaluating awards will have a thorough understanding of the impact of bias to take it into account while reviewing nominations.
Council/CRM-approved Canadian professional science society for nominators
The nominator must belong to one of the following societies to be eligible to submit a nomination for the CAP-CRM Prize in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics:
- Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society
- Canadian Association of Physicists
- Canadian Astronomical Society
- Canadian Biophysical Society
- Canadian Geophysical Union
- Canadian Mathematical Society
- Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Canadian Organization for Medical Physicists
- Canadian Society for Chemistry